Welcome to RNIC Love Bites! The first Tuesday of every month, Romance Novels in Color posts a writing prompt at 7:00 am EST and challenges you—authors and aspiring authors—to demonstrate what excellent writers you are.
Readers, we want you to participate, too! RNIC Love Bites commenters will be entered in a drawing.
Rules for Participating Authors
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to write a flash fiction story (1000 words or less) in the comments. Think you’ve got what it takes? Keep reading.
- Based on the writing prompt below, enter a flash fiction story of 1000 words as a comment. Entries over 1000 words will be deleted.
- Write at the heat level you feel comfortable. Remember, this is an opportunity to shine and give readers a sample of your work. There will be no censorship, but the usual no-no’s apply—beastiality, incest, golden showers, etc.
- Below the story, enter the following:
- Website, if applicable
- The genre(s) you write in, if applicable. Choose as many as apply from the following: contemporary romance, historical romance, inspirational romance, LGBT, new adult, paranormal & urban fantasy, romantic suspense, sci-fi/fantasy, young adult, romantic comedy, other:____.
- Optional: The title of a published story you’ve written which includes a hero or heroine of color, and a brief description. (NOTE: You do not have to list a novel, but if you do, please make sure it’s a romance novel that features a hero or heroine of color to adhere to our mission of promoting the awareness and appreciation of diversity in romance novels.)
Benefits to Participating Authors
- Reach a wider audience of readers who may not be familiar with your novels.
- Exercise your writing muscles.
- Each week RNIC will gift a romance novel to a lucky reader, and that novel may be yours!
- Aspiring authors, start building brand awareness.
Rules for Participating Readers
- You have a chance to win a novel by one of the participating authors! Just write a comment answering the question after the writing prompt.
- International entrants are welcome.
- Deadline to enter: Sunday, 11/08/15 at 11:59 PM EST.
TODAY’S WRITING PROMPT
After a long day at work, you come home to see a messenger on your doorstep waiting to hand deliver an envelope to you. Once inside your home, you open the envelope to find a letter congratulating you for being selected to appear on a new dating reality show that will start filming in three days… a show you know you never auditioned for so the letter must have been delivered by mistake. While flipping through the paperwork, you see a check for $25,000.00 – an advance on the salary you would earn as the show’s lead. What do you do? By the way… did we mention you just started dating someone a couple of weeks before?
Readers, if in this situation, what would you do?
Laurel Cremant is an opinionated author and reader of romance with a wicked sense of humor. RNIC was smart (or crazy) to bring her on as a blogger. In 2016 she took over the management of this site and relishes her new title of “Overlord of Awesome”