It is no secret that I spend a ridiculous amount of time on the internet. I like to believe that 70% of the time is for practical research, and the remaining 30% is for entertainment. This is a lie I happily tell myself.
On my internet travels, I often discover some great writing tips for new and established writers. So of course I’ve decided to share them with you 🙂
Below are a few tips and motivations for your on your writing journey.
Synopses and Queries
I made the decision late last year to dedicate 2016 to submitting my work to publishers and beginning the search to find an agent. Unfortunately that means my year will be filled with writing query letters and book synopses, every authors worst nightmare (at least mine). Below are three resources I’ve come across that have been very helpful.
- How To Write a 1-Page Synopsis: For the dreaded synopsis
- Perfecting Your First Five Pages: For making sure your first chapters pop. If an agent makes it past your query and synopsis, your first five pages can make or break you. This article provides advice on how to submit your best effort. Check out the rest of the BookEnds blog. It is full of great advice.
- Query Tracker: For finding and stalking the perfect agent, and tracking your queries. This website is the ultimate multi-tasker. It provides submission, rejection and response times of agents, and it lets you keep track of what you’ve submitted to who and when. GOLD STAR!!!
What if No One Likes Your Writing?
Author Jenna Moreci has a great YouYube channel where she shares her writing journey and provides great motivation and advice. Below are two of my favorite videos. They are great to get to gain perspective. Also Jenna may be my spirit animal…just saying.
Laurel Cremant is an opinionated author and reader of romance with a wicked sense of humor. RNIC was smart (or crazy) to bring her on as a blogger. In 2016 she took over the management of this site and relishes her new title of “Overlord of Awesome”